Noosh Time

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

MCC - YWAM : Adelaide : Tuesday, 9 January 2007

Having arrived in Adelaide safely, we were met by a YWAM leader who took us into the hills of Adelaide and up to the YWAM (Youth With A Mission) base. The base is an old mansion that was built in the 1800s and used to be the Governor's House before it became an orphanage and then became the base for YWAM South Australia. I wish I could show you the photos but it is a beautiful and picturesque setting amongst the vineyards and the rolling hills which are surprisingly green considering the drought situation here!

Jenna and I are sharing a room with a lovely girl - the room is so quaint ... it's really spacious and we have our own separate little lounge area and a door onto the balcony which extends around the whole house. We have limited mobile phone coverage here so having access to the balcony is a bonus ... you just have to hang over the edge with a coat hanger in one hand and your mobile in the other ... tee hee! Jenna is on a very high top bunk and I am on the lower one (thankfully!) and she can stand up straight on her top bunk and still not reach the ceiling so the ceilings are very, very high which makes the room feel very spacious! I feel very at home here despite missing the comfort of my own bathroom ... we have a shared girls bathroom facility which is very old but very quirky in a shabby chic kind of way!!

On our first day, Jenna and I also had a chance to visit some of the South Australian OM staff who have given us some "wheels"!! This is great because it means that we will be mobile on the weekends when we have time to ourselves and can go exploring! On our way back to the base with the car, we were able to stop and see two wild koala bears sitting in a gum tree ... it was so special as it is quite rare to see them in the wild and I managed to get some great shots so as soon as I can download my photos, I will update my pages!

On our first night we had an orientation BBQ with everyone and got to know each other better! There are some great people here from a variety of mission organisations with heaps of missionary experience and knowledge which is invaluable to hear. I had to introduce a team member who is in her mid-sixties, used to be a rocker, has 11 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren with one to come and who has been a missionary for over 14 years! She's a gem ... along with another gem who is 76 yrs old and has had over 30 something years as a missionary ... and others who I haven't got time to mention right now!

As a result of our wheels, last night (Mon, 8 Jan) we were able to go out for a cheap eat with a friend of hers and she took us to her favourite cafe on Henley Beach. After a long walk up the promenade, we watched the sun setting over the water which was just spectacular and enjoyed a delicious meal at a little cafe called Evida. It was a great opportunity to get to know some of the OM team in South Australia and to see more of Adelaide too!

In the course so far, we've learnt heaps about attrition (why missionaries leave the field), how to raise support and today we took a group tour into the heart of Adelaide city to the "market" for lunch ... we then did a driving tour of the city and went up to Eagle Hill look out to see the city. We've had many laughs as we are all getting to know one another better and many amazing stories of God's faithfulness on the mission field which have inspired and encouraged and challenged us in our faith.

I know that I have made the right decision to be here and that God has placed me here at the right time ... I am content and feel a deep sense of peace that this is exactly where I am meant to be and what I am meant to be doing for the time being and I am grateful and blessed to have so many amazing friends supporting me in prayer and encouragement so thank you to one and all! Please email me with your news and happenings so that I am in the loop on your lives too!

Signing off ... will be in touch again ... God Bless you wherever you may be in the world!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home