Noosh Time

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Walk down Memory Lane

Today I walked the streets of London soaking in the sights once more and pinching myself every now and then to check that I really am back in good ol' London town!

I started at Piccadilly Circus and strolled to Leicester Square, then down to Trafalgar Square.


Then I walked through Admiralty Arch and up part of the golden mile before turning back and walking down Whitehall past No. 10 Downing Street and Horseguards Parade towards my favourite friend, Big Ben. Then past the Parliament Houses and Westminster Abbey and all the way up Victoria Street. I found myself smiling as little things reminded me of times and people gone by ... things I had forgotten about yet seeing the name or the place again, it all came flooding back!

Whilst walking down Victoria Street, I cut through Strutton Ground which is the little lane way that I used to spend most of my lunch breaks at when I worked for the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons in Horseferry Road, Victoria. I decided that I would surprise my old boss Lesley with a pop-in visit and we had a lovely catch up over a good cup of tea! I was grateful to rest my weary limbs by this time too! Following that, I walked to Buckingham Palace and across Green Park where I hopped on the tube during peak hour (stupid!) and stopped in Earls Court.

The one thing that has changed is the number of people in London! There are people everywhere and you have to play a constant game of "dodgem cars" and be quite nimble on your feet to avoid the elbow bashing and shoving that goes on, particularly in high density people congestion spots!! I have to say that it was quite overwhelming at times and I was very happy to know that I don't have to fight through the people traffic every day like I used to do on the tubes and the streets. However, I really think that there are definitely more people living here than there were 14 years ago!




Being in Earls Court was, of course, a real walk down memory lane ... going back to "Kenway Road" and seeing the little street, the Kings Head pub and the shops in the area where we all lived together!! I had to laugh that the front doors to our units were still painted in a black frame with a big yellow door ... some things just never change and our landlady, who owns about 10 of these units side by side, has obviously not changed either?!

After grabbing a bite, I headed back home and felt really good about having covered so much ground in my walk down memory lane ...

Unfortunately, my photos keep crashing so I have not had a chance to upload them yet but watch this space!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home